At Settle College we welcome speakers to inform students of an eclectic range of opportunities!
Speakers this year have included:
- Lancaster & Morecambe College – future pathways
- Jaguar Landrover
- National Citizenship Service (NCS)
- NHS A&E Consultant (covering NHS Careers)
- 3rd Year Law Student
- Russel Group University – Virtual Event
- Marine Biology
- Work Placement – Yr10 & Yr12
- Blaithwaite Development – Apprenticeship in Construction.
- JN Bentley – Engineering Day
We’ve continued to welcome speakers this term, including:
- Cyrille Rollet from Lancaster University spoke to Yr8 & Yr9 students about career opportunities in modern foreign languages.
- Robert Bullock – Author & Historian spoke to 6th form English & History students.
- Andy Mouncey is working with Yr12 students who are forming a shadow advisory board for his not for profit work in the prison system.
- Phoebe Henneh from Coventry University supported 6th form students with UCAS applications and writing personal statements.
- Northumbria University spoke about Degree Apprenticeships
- Re-start a heart day took place on the 14th October. All Yr10/Yr.11 and several 6th form students took part in the training.
- Former student Georgina Pinder returned to school and spoke to Yr12 students about her journey from Settle College to studying for a master’s degree in midwifery. Georgina also spoke to students in Yr9-Yr11 who are interested in midwifery as a career.
- We welcomed back our Level 6 Careers Advisor – Pete Soroczan. Pete interviewed Yr11 students who required some extra support in decision making for next year.
- The Ribble Rivers Trust spoke to Science students about their work.
- Arla welcomed 6th form scientists on a visit to the recently opened lactose free facility and labs in Settle.
- Numerous virtual work experience opportunities and talks have been advertised to student’s from national employers.
- Mrs. Walker spoke to all Yr. groups about the options available to students at 16 and 18. She also discussed stereotypes in employment and barriers to learning/career choices.
- “Big Idea” Science Day for Yr7 and Year 8 students with Mr Langan. Settle College were finalists in this event last year!
- Mock interviews with Governors for Year 10 students
- National apprenticeships week ( 6th -10th February 2023). We welcomed Sarah Howarth from Craven College who specializes in apprenticeships and several local apprentices returned to school to share their experiences.
- National careers week ( 6th -10th March) we were joined by Ash Robinson from Lancaster and Morecambe College, talking about growth industries as well as covering the new T levels and traineeships available from local colleges.
- February 23: Yr12 students took part in a work experience trip to Italy. This was made possible by funding from The Middle School
- The careers board in school has information on all the routes available to students when leaving school/open events at local colleges and job/apprenticeship opportunities.
- The careers linked to subjects board in the library is a great place to look if students are uncertain where to start. This also includes information on careers in demand in the UK.
- Legacy Fund, Rotary and fundraising efforts by the students themselves.
- Year 10 students will take part in work experience week (3rd – 7th July 23).
- Year 12 students will take part in work experience week (17th – 21st July 23).
The weekly careers drop-in (every Wednesday lunchtime in A13) which is proving very popular with students from Yr10-13. All year groups are welcome, drop in for an informal chat!