Welcome to Year 7 at Settle College
Throughout your child’s time at primary school, we work closely with the primary school to ensure that the transition from primary to secondary school is made as easy as possible for your child. Working together, we can ensure the best support for your child.
For the second consecutive year we are oversubscribed and look forward to welcoming our new Year 6 intake even with schools’ closures due to coronavirus 19.
All documents associate with transition will be added to this webpage:
Currently, the dates for transition activities are as follows:
Year 7 Transfer Evening: Tuesday 7th July 2020, at 6.30pm – 8.00pm Settle College (School Hall).
Year 7 Transfer Day: Wednesday 8th July 2020 – Settle College (School Hall) 8.40am – 3.20pm. Students will wear their own school uniform and travel on the normal Settle College buses. A letter outlining further information for Transfer Evening and Transfer Day will be sent to parents nearer the time. We will also aim to send out our summer pack early next term.
Start of Term: Wednesday 9th September 2020, 8.40am.
We are hopeful we will be able to keep these dates. In the current situation, changes are of course possible. Updates will be sent to parents as and when we receive them, and will also be posted on this page.
Our Transition Strategies
- We encourage additional visits to Settle College during the course of the school year and over the summer holidays to support transition for our more vulnerable students. This is pending due to the current pandemic.
- Settle College Maths Department staff liaise with primary schools to devise numeracy-themed assemblies and activities for World Number Day.
- Our annual Transfer Day and Evening is an opportunity for parents to share information and concerns and get to know the school routines.
Other transition events have included;
- Design & Technology Workshops led by Settle College staff provide subject expertise in our feeder primary schools.
- Primary students from Year 4,5, and 6 visit Settle College to participate in Science workshops in our Science labs.
- Our Mini Olympics and Sports Leader programmes develop leadership skills in Settle College students whilst supporting sports development in primary schools.
- There are Cluster Headteacher meetings every half-term, where good practice is shared across the primary and secondary phases.
- Individual student meetings are held at primary schools for all primary students prior to transition, led by the Head of Year and SENCo.
- Sixth Form students lead Maths workshops for the more able in Y7.
- Year 7 Floodlight is carried out by Settle College staff and Y6 primary teachers to ensure students are moving forward in their learning from Year 6.
- Settle College Senior staff visit primary schools to support transition.
- CEOP’s E-safety awareness evening is hosted at Settle College, dates to be confirmed for parents and carers from all cluster schools.
- Half termly meetings are held with the Headteacher of the largest local primary feeder school to discuss pastoral issues.
- Aspirational targets are developed from KS2 SATs for all students.
- Students from Year 11 carry out transition visits to local feeder primary schools to support the transition process.
- Settle College Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher attend feeder primary school Year 6 parents’ evenings.
- Year 7 students write letters to Year 6 students to prepare and reassure them about the process of transition to secondary school.
- Primary schools have developed and shared portfolios of student work across all curriculum subjects to ensure consistency of quality, presentation and help support student progression through transition.
Transition letter April 2020 – initial letter to parents
Transition letter May 2020 – welcome from Head of Year
FAQs 1 – frequently asked questions