At Settle College we have excellent relationships with our feeder primary schools and work together to provide the best educational provision for the young people of North Craven. Our feeder primary schools are as follows:
Ingleton C of E Primary School, Bentham Community Primary School, Clapham C of E Primary School, Austwick C of E Primary School, Giggleswick Primary School, Settle C of E Primary School, Long Preston Primary School, Hellifield Community Primary School.
As a group of Head teachers we meet every half-term to discuss collaboration and the sharing of good practice to support students across North Craven.
Primary and secondary colleagues work closely together to ensure smooth transition from secondary school to primary school. Examples include:
- The ICT HUB where computing practice is shared between secondary and primary colleagues. The HUB is led by Mrs E Partridge, Subject Leader ICT, as part of our Lead School for Computing status.
- Maths colleagues have been working together this year to ensure methodology between primary and secondary school is consistent.
- There are close links between Special Education Needs staff to ensure the right support is put in place for students moving from primary to secondary school who have additional needs.
- Settle College Maths staff and Sixth Form students have run workshops for primary schools in many of our feeder schools.
- The Science Department at Settle College run Forensic Science workshops for Year 5 and 6 primary pupils throughout the year.
- Our Sixth Form students support primary students in lessons helping them with i.e. reading.
- We run a Mini Olympics every year in the summer for students from our feeder primary schools.
- Settle College Technology teachers deliver workshops for primary students either at Settle College or in the primary schools.
- Primary school students perform in our annual Drama production
- Settle College students visit primary schools to give talks about their experience at secondary school for example our visit to Settle Primary school where Year 11 girls talked to students about winning the National Rugby League Championships.
Northern Lights Teaching School Alliance
We are also a strategic partner in the Northern Lights Teaching School Alliance. This enables us to be part of a wide network of schools offering a unique range of opportunities for aspiring and serving teachers and leaders. Miss S Doyle (Assistant Headteacher) is a Specialist Leader of Education in this respect, providing support for other schools. Please click on the link below for more information about the Northern Lights Teaching School Alliance.